Sunday, December 7, 2008

What I have not learned

I have decided to stop trying to decide what something is. What is a child, what is a book, what is nature, what is didacticism, or what is dust? I feel like we can really only talk about the essence of a child or a thing rather than give it a concretness that only makes us feel warm and comfortable. More importantly, rather than asking what it is, maybe we could ask why is it important. After this class I feel like I know more about nature than a biologist and more about a child than any of my elementary school teachers. I also know that the fact of the matter is if I were to have kids of my own I would realized immediately that I don't know sheeit. But I guess it takes a long time to learn everything and know nothing. Thats what education is about. Everything that I've learned in this class affects me. I think this is a larger part of all our studies --to find how we are able to interact and relate to the things we have studied. Through ideas like six degrees of separation and displaced myth we understand how childrens literature is a part of us, and we are a part of it-just like a myth is a personalized dream and a dream is a depersonalized myth. There is a little child in each and everyone of us, and that it what it takes to see the extraordinary in the ordinary--we need to always stive to achieve the condition of a child. To be open to the way things present themselves to us, willing to disbelieve and understanding that there is always room for contradiction.

No comments: